our baby is coming soon!
i've been making woolly diaper covers
from a pattern found in a vintage book.
they are so simple
and so fun to make, i wanted to share.
perhaps you have a baby to knit for too!
below modifications and the 'recipe'.
using worsted weight wool and size 6 needles, cast on 100 stitches.
knit 2, purl 2, for approximately 6 rows.
then work an eyelet row:
k2, p2, k2, yo, p2 tog, repeat to the end of the row.
work 6 more rows of rib.
change to garter stitch and begin decrease as follows:
k2, k2tog, knit to the last 4 stitches of the row, k2 tog, k2.
continue decreasing every other row until all stitches are used.
fold together like this
sew ribbing together
then seam the point until half the space is
left for the leg openings.
crochet or icord a chain, drawing through the eyelet holes
i made tiny knitted leaves for this pair, for another pair, pom poms.
these bottoms measure 7 x 9 inches. i don't think any of the numbers
are terribly important, but i think the cast on amount needs to be divisible by 2 (for the ribbing)
i made a very small newborn pair and cast on 84 stitches. as soon as baby arrives,
i'll have a better idea of how these fit! for now it's fun to experiment.
(leaf pattern found here)
we're here in mendocino still. i'm happy to have finished this pair so
i could take photos on our 'driftwood cottage' table.
and have time to start making another. :)