Wednesday, August 3, 2011

run, swim, run

before sunrise last monday morning, twenty one carpinteria city lifeguards and california state lifeguards from carpinteria to ventura attempted a run swim run that was a challenge even to these super fit athletes.

they would run when they could and swim when they couldn't (run), from carpinteria's state beach to ventura's main lifeguard tower. a distance of approximately twenty miles, barefoot, in swimsuits. starting in the dark.

a super low tide meant the only swim was underneath the pier at mussel shoals located approximately four to five miles south of carpinteria.

because my husband chuck participated in this lifeguard endurance quest, i woke early too, to show my support, get some photos and give him a ride back home.















it wasn't a race (but chuck came in fourth, i couldn't help counting). still, i felt just as proud of each of these dedicated lifeguards, well done on the first lifeguard endurance quest!

tomorrows paper will run an article on this event including some of these photos, it's  here on page 18.
 *happy*

(trying out the new tab feature, it was fun to make, i feel organized!)


19 comments:

  1. These are just amazing photos! And a great event to take part in. It makes me want to get fitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! is all I can say. And breathe out deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's incredible. I couldn't run for 20 seconds never mind 20 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing photos, you make me feel as if I was there. I really admire those athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a beautiful morning! chuck is a stud. your photos are amazing! how cool that they'll be in the paper. maybe they'll start hiring you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow congrats to your husband I'm impressed! I particularly love your shots of the runners in the early hours, they have so much soul. Just beautiful!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos! Made me miss the beach so much and running, I just started again after a year (My Zeusy could not run) and I can only do a mile now. Congrats to Chuck and all the runners and swimmers, very impressive.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.
    Congrats! {to le husband}

    These are fabulous...The moody water and mists with the silhouettes really appeal to me...
    The crispness of the gull is amazing too.
    Bravo to you too!
    xo

    {ps. just emailed you, hope it gets through...}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to all and to you for always taking the most amazing photos!!The rocks balanced on the wood...I love that one!!Hugs,Cat

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man..i am feeling fat and lazy sitting on this couch right now..and eating pizza no less !!!! yikes !!!

    great photos lori...i will email you the pizza dough recipe this weekend...

    i need to go and take a walk !!!

    sending love and a hug to owen...

    kary and teddy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful shots!! Love that gull:)

    BIG congrats (and thanks) to the lifeguards who risk their lives to help others.

    Way to go Chuck! I know you come in first in Lori's heart ;)♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!!! Great photos and congrats to Chuck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lori, i don't mean to be religious here on your blog but you have been given a gift from the heavens and how lucky blessed to see through your lens. unbelievable shots. is there such a thing as six dimensional: those transparent buildings in the background have such depth, they are otherworldy.
    and too, there is evidence of life everywhere.

    what a great event. your chuck is in shape, to say the least.

    hey! i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are all your friends named Andrea? (or Anushka or Annie or...? :) I know one is named KJ because she raves about you, so here I am, absorbing that SoCal vibe that your photos exude. Beautiful work. I'll be back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos, dear Lori!
    Have a wonderful weekend you all,
    xoxo
    Mina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very Impressive!
    Congrats to Chuck & as usual, lovely photos my dear♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic photos Lori! Glad you're having a great summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. great shots of so many amazingly fit beachbods - quite an impressive group!

    but i have to say my favorite image is the stacked stones on the beach......i just love it!!

    xoxo

    amanda

    p.s. go chuck!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pictures always make me want to move to California. But then I look at those fit bodies....

    ReplyDelete

xoxo lori