Tuesday, June 10, 2014

june gris


early summer. may grey never really happened, but instead we are enjoying june gloom (june grey, gris i say!). our heat wave was replaced with dense fog. fog that has ebbed and flowed, rolling in and out different times of the day, cooling down the sea and the shore. if i'm lucky i get out as early as i can, at first light. sometimes the fog is like a giant curtain, just like in narnia, you have to pass through it to get to where you want to go, either to home or to the beach. i love being enveloped in it where ever it is.

i've been working lately and making small preparations for my summer trip. (i am so sorry if i'm talking about this too much!) i have to share just one thing this post. while demonstrating to chuck how i would pack my carry on, he asked 'where will your knitting go?' aww so sweet! do not worry honey, there is room!

around the house, a project that's needed attention, are photos. i have one million photographs per child. and then there are the travel photos and knitting photos and pet photos and just because photos. many many photos. (this does not include digital files,these are all physical photographs i'm sorting right now). i think i've finally figured a way to organize them, and have been chipping away, seeing the end in sight. yay! following are photos that were sitting undeveloped in one of my vintage (thrift shop) cameras. finally got all the orphaned rolls done and sorted. except for the first one, that is an iphone photo (and oh i have a LOT of those too! more sorting...)   :)









these were taken with a (very old) canon ae-1 and a new to me vintage pentax. if you are on instagram you may have seen one or two already. yes i succumbed. but back to the cameras, oh how i love this pentax. i ordered film for it to bring on my trip, i hope it will help in capturing a tiny bit of shetland magic. i've finished my dress, the bressay. hopefully it will be photographed soon. thank you so much for the kind words for the hap shawl. oh my goodness that was a fun pattern to make, if you would like an easy lovely shawl ~ blanket i can't recommend the hansel enough. with a baby on the way in our family, i get to make another!


 my husband's commute



chuck came home after working a week out at the islands, i surprised him and met his boat. :) :) :) we went to yummy thai food and got all caught up on the weeks activities (i worked i knit i hiked. he worked he hiked, he did not knit, nor will he ever. darn!). here is an article he wrote on california's channel island national park for american forest magazine. if you look closely you might see me in there. hee hee :)
have a wonderful week friends!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lori, beautiful post! We are enjoying a heat wave over here in Europe at the moment, and I love it! We are going swimming with all the KG familieas today, a relaxed day at work hehe!
    A beautiful week to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos as always Lori. I have nightmares of the photo-sorting that I know awaits me in 20 years time when all the Kids have left home. If only I could be organised NOW :-) Have a lovely week...Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something about the mist that rolls in from the sea that's different from all other mists. I remember sunbathing on beaches when suddenly you can't see the person next to you. Or hiking on the Yorkshire moors when you suddenly feel alone...the line of walkers a pace ahead can't been seen. There is something so magical about all of nature. Thank you for sharing all your images. Have a wonderful week...you never know one day Chuck might just knit too...
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are on Instagram! I wish you the best of luck with your photo organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the photos looked different, love the birds, as always. You never know, Chuck might knit one day. Out of sheer boredom my husband learned to knit many years ago. His stitches were so tight the yarn squeaked!! He didn't like it at all :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly remember the gris days in California. We lived in Laguna Hills and the fog rolled in and didn't burn off until the afternoon! My hubby is in New Orleans and although I miss him, it's good once in awhile to be by myself; it makes those homecomings even sweeter as it looks like yours was:-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, your photos never fail to fill me with awe and wonder. They are beautiful. I hope I will get to see LOTS of photos from your upcoming trip to Shetland, your excitement makes hearing about it fun! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really should follow you and arrange my photos too. As you know with five babies there are so many photos. Sigh.
    Glad you soul mate is home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing pictures.You can really catch a feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful images! I dread organizing my photos. They were all in neat little folders and titled on the computer until all of our data was lost. When they were retrieved they were a mess of unnamed, disorganized files and I have yet to straighten them out. It was about 8 years worth of family videos and pics, blog pics, camera experimentation, etc... Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The amount of photos in this digitalized era can be a bit overwhelming :-). Yours are, as always, truly lovely!


    ... I can't knit at all nowadays, due to a very sore elbow. Darn, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous images Lori. I can't wait to see what you and your camera make of the Shetlands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lori, I came across your blog while doing some research for Carpinteria Magazine. I really like it. Inspires me to be better about my blog. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love a foggy day. Keep talking about your trip, it's fun to plan vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The fog is so magical. We don't see a lot of it in my neck of the woods. Perhaps we will in Shetland... Congrats on getting your Bressay done. Can't wait to see photos (and any other photo you want to throw our way, they are all such a treat).

    xo

    ReplyDelete

xoxo lori