Saturday, January 3, 2009

Welcoming the New Year

2009 is starting out in the best possible way, already abundant with blessings, little and big. I tried to post the pictures we took on New Years Eve, but they are on my phone and I've not yet figured out how to get them to go from there to my computer. We went to the restaurant that my son works at which was great for me since he was our waiter. He was a little stressed, it was a busy night, but at least he didn't have to worry about us! Everyone had on party hats and horns, the kind that unfurl when you toot them. We ordered champagne and had a lovely bucket beside our table. Everyone was in such a festive mood it was more like a party than a dinner, people wandering around. Our table was at the window and people we knew kept walking by, seeing us, and then they'd pop in. Before too long the restaurant was at capacity. We celebrated the "New York" New Years, watching the ball drop in Times Square at 9 p.m. California time, midnight on the east coast. We kissed and clinked our glasses with everyone around us(not the kissing, just the clinking...cheers!) and then finished off our bottle and headed home, in bed well before our midnight. The plan was to wake early and run up Romero Trail...but i think i might have had a little too much of the bubbly and slept instead. Waking to a note that read "waited for awhile, didn't want to wake you." And he was gone. Not feeling like driving up the mountain, instead, I pulled on my running shoes and walked to the beach. To clear my head and welcome the new year at my favorite place.

if there's some truth to the fact that what you do on the first day of the year could set the pace for the rest of it too, I always try to get to the ocean. It was cold and foggy, which meant that I was all alone, save for one lone fisherman. We waved and smiled at each other and then went back to enjoying our solitude.





a parade of brown pelicans flew by, it kind of looked like they were waving too...

i walked as far as I could, the tide was too high to go all the way around the rocks. All the while thinking about the exciting things to look forward to this year. Babies! Weddings! Trips! All the goals my kids have set...a dream of a crafting project come true for me...
I thought about my intentions and what I hoped for for the coming year...so many things...wasting less, giving more, being creative, spreading joy, and this, so much more wondrous than achieving a goal... relishing the ride.
xxx Lori

23 comments:

  1. I`m sure the pelicans waved, too! And I am waving at you from here! You need not spread any more joy, you already do! I loved your party description, and also the first morning of the year. Just keep on going, Bonnie Lori, and you`ll certainly get back as much as you give! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how wonderful... what a great way to see out the old, sounds like such a festive mood at the restaurant. And your 2009 morning run on the beach, I know that great feeling (minus the ocean!). Lovely photos! If i wasn't already all inspired for 2009, i'm now a bit more so thanks to you! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relishing the ride - you are so right, wise Lori!

    May the year continue as it began.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your night out sounded fun. Hope the rest of the year continues to be the same.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fabulous way to see in the new year. I loved the walk on the beach withyou and the lone fisherman and pelicans and foggy solitude..... what a gorgeous place you live in! also loved your inspirational resolves for 2009 and the craft project will be awesome and spread so much magic and joy xxxxx this year truly will be a great one for you I feel sure

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lori Ann, Forgive my boldness but I am doing a bit of blog surfing to invite people over to my blog to sign up for my giveaway I have going on. This isn't some kind of gimmick. It's just my way of celebrating two years of blogging. I am giving away a free caricature drawn by me. I'd be honored if you took the time to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh oh OH what a beautiful beach...and how wise you are to start your new year off right there...full of peace, power, beauty...wow...xxx janelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely pensive post Lori, and wonderful atmosphere in your pics. I'm sure you will have a great 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos - really inspirational for New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah dear geli, we have alot to look forward to this year, i am positivly inspired! thank you for the sweet words...

    thanks so much karen, we are so lucky to live in such beautiful places, the beach and the bush!

    Miranda, you take goodcare dear, those words will help carry you through the adventure you are on for now and for always...i could'ent be happier for you...sigh...

    and the same for you dear CJ. and the rest of your family too!

    Val, that means alot since you live in one of the most fabulously gorgeous places on the planet. Yes! here's to 2009!

    Hi Rick, ok, i'll do it, see you in a bit!

    thanks and oh so true Janelli, the oceans a magnet for me, now, so is blogland :)

    thanks Katherine, yes, your right, a combination of new years day and the fog,makes me thoughtful.a wonderful 2009 to you too!

    thanks so much Tim, Happy New Years to you and your family too! good luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe what a person does on new year's day is symbolic of what's to come, too. I would have loved to walk at the beach - used to take Jake to the beach every day when I lived in San Francisco. I can almost smell the funky salty beautiful sea air. Mmmmmm!!

    What a great year you have ahead of you. Hope all the best of everything comes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks reya, and i hope the same for you!if you ever come to the west coast you must come here and we'll definetly walk together,and jake. i know what you mean, the smell of the ocean stays with you once you've lived with it.

    thanks QUASAR9! i wish the same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori, your words and photos are an inspiration. You write from the heart and we hear it. You view the world from such a peaceful and heartfelt place and you share it. Thank you. You are special! I just know you'll have a blessed and wonderful 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tessa?! yay, your back! I can't wait to hear all about your island holiday. Thank you for the sweet sweet words.
    p.s. Zuri is almost ready to make her appearance :)

    xxx lori

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lori,

    You do have some wonderful pictures! I was interested in the type of camera you use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Kastina, i really appreciate you saying that!
    Most of the photos on my blog were taken with a Leica C-Lux 2, but I shoot film mainly and for that I have a Canon EOS-lN.
    xx lori

    ReplyDelete
  17. I live in the beautiful but landlocked Colorado; every time I am at the beach I take an almost silly amount of pictures. I have wondered--would I do this if I lived on the beach? Your blog allowed me this realization: Clearly I would, because you do--you explained in another blog that your life and the beach run together...and I suppose that is always worth a silly amount of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi. Im a first time blogger and i have to say that i really like your blog. You can visit mine at msc95. I wouldn't consider it aan awesome blog but it is developing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful content on your blog and the pictures are fantastic! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. man, thanks! that is so nice of you to say.

    xx lori

    ReplyDelete
  21. oops C and msc 95, thanks so much for great comments!
    xx lori

    ReplyDelete

xoxo lori